As we get older, everyday tasks can become difficult, but that doesn’t mean losing our independence or moving out of our home. Asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness or vulnerability; it’s a way to empower us to find solutions that make our lives easier, safer and more comfortable.
Home Care support is a fantastic tool designed to help keep you safe and healthy at home by providing you with the extra support you may need to maintain your independence.
If you think home care support could help you or your loved one, here’s a simple guide to eligibility requirements and the process of applying for assistance:
Commonwealth Home Support Programme
The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) helps senior Australians access entry-level home care support services to live independently and safely at home.
CHSP works with you to maintain your independence rather than doing things for you.
Check if you’re eligible for CHPS
Eligibility for the Commonwealth Home Support Programme is based on your support needs and age.
If you feel a little support with everyday tasks could improve your health and wellbeing, CHSP could be right for you.
To be eligible for this program, you must be aged:
- 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people) or
- 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people) and on a low income, homeless or at risk of being homeless
Check if you meet the requirements for an assessment or, if you are ready, apply for an assessment now.
If your needs are more complex, a Home Care Package could be better suited.
Home Care Packages
Home Care Packages (HCP) are how older Australians can access affordable care services to get some help at home. They are designed for those with more complex care needs beyond what the Commonwealth Home Support Programme can provide.
Home Care Package services you can access
Depending on your level of Home Care Package, you can get assistance with a range of different services. Here are three categories of services:
- Services to keep you well and independent – including personal care, nursing services, allied health.
- Services to keep you safe in your home – including assistive technology, home modification, maintenance and cleaning.
- Services to keep you connected to your community – including transport and social support services.
Get more information about Home Care Packages services.
How to check if you are eligible
Eligibility is determined through a face-to-face assessment and based on your care needs. You must also be:
- An older person who needs coordinated services to help stay at home or
- A younger person with a disability, dementia or other care needs not met through other specialist services.
Your financial situation won’t affect your eligibility. Still, you will need to complete a financial assessment to work out exactly how much you may be able to contribute toward your required services.
Check if you meet the requirements for an assessment or if you are ready; apply for an assessment now.
How long will it take to get some help at home?
Everyone’s circumstances are different. Firstly, you need to be assessed. After that, it will depend on the availability of providers in your area that offer the services you need.
If you need access to assistive technology, such as a personal alarm device, to help keep you safe at home, contact Vitalcare on 1800 476 743.
We’re committed to making our clients, and their loved ones feel supported every step of the way.